Me, feluccas, history and healing in Luxor, Egypt

This is the story of a "felucca girl" in Luxor, Egypt.

I have refound my youth in this amazing country, making it my permanent home, spending my time showing tourists the wonder of the eternal River Nile on a traditional sailing boat called a felucca.

Egypt is a very spiritual land. A land of amazing energies and healing. Temples and tombs abound. Join me in experiencing the spirituality of Egypt. Reiki, Crystals, Healing, Energy Work..... all are available here.

Welcome to my world!

Monday 4 April 2011

A new Spirit is born


The guys were all busy replacing ropes and steel and my friend had been off buying paint.  Now........ the paint could be an issue. He was quite clearly told turquoise paint...... it is not turquoise! He brought back two colours that he said were blue turquoise and green turquoise.  Now I can go with that, turquoise can be blueish or greenish. But they are definitely blue and green! But the green one is actually very nice and will look good with the cream paintwork.  However, I insisted on being there when the painter arrived so that I could be absolutely sure that my colour scheme was being strictly adhered to.  After all this is Egypt, and the catch phrase is “inshallah”. 
The following day Spirit had been moved yet again from her moorings and was nestling under the cornice by the side of Kebabgy Restaurant.  
I was deposited on another felucca  while all the guys, including all of those who were already there, waded through the river to Spirit. Out came the white paint and the painter started work........ the boys were cleaning and sanding and the painter was painting. After about an hour of sitting alone watching, and desperately wanting to get more practically involved,  I decided to wander up to Kebabgy for a lemon...... nope....... wasn’t allowed to do that, Khaled would make me tea.  Why did I want to pay for lemon when I could drink tea for nothing? Hmmmmmmmm So I sat and drank tea and everyone came to join me. Tea breaks are tea breaks anywhere in the world!
By lunchtime I was both bored and fascinated at the same time. The painter was painting using a trowel to paint! In his underpants! (No, the trowel was not in his underwear, he was just wearing his undies!) What is it about those baggy white pants? Now there’s a picture for you! Then I was asked if I wanted to sail......... what a stupid question! Off we went for a couple of hours.  Lovely.  Now, I am not sure whether they wanted me out of the way or not, because by the time we got back the painter was putting the first coat of colour!  Colour that I was supposed to check out before it went on!  

Fortunately,  the colour was perfect, kind of a light sandy colour, a creamy yellow is probably the best way to describe it. Nice. Oh, I also decided on my prow logo,  I am using  one of the Seichem symbols that means Shining, Everlasting, Living Waters of Ra! Perfect!  It is now painted beneath the Eye of Horus that protects most of the feluccas.  A crystal given to me by a good friend in the UK is also sewn into the sail .  Add all that to the verse from the Koran for protection, and I think my boat will be the most spiritual and best protected boat in the world! 


What is it about chintz here? I needed fabric for the cushion covers and the sun tent. Everywhere we went........ chintz, chintz and more chintz. It doesn’t exactly fit with my idea for the boat. But I did eventually find some nice fabric, couldn’t find plain, but at least its not chintz!  My poor friend was despatched with me to carry my purchases.... shopping is his worst nightmare at the best of times, but shopping for fabric with an English woman was sheer hell for him! He did, however, find some nice fabric in a nice shade of turquoise....... very nice until I pointed out the Winnie the Poohs all over it! The boat was finally finished from a painting point of view. It just needs a few days to completely dry out and then they can start putting all the masts etc back in place.
Finally the main mast was put back in and and it was the turn of the lovely man who would paint the name for me.  He was ancient and his hand was trembling so much I have no idea how he ever managed to paint a straight line, but it all turned out brilliantly and I am really pleased with the end result. 


And so Spirit was finally fully mine, exactly as I had dreamed.  Now it was time to begin my true life here in this amazing country.

No comments:

Post a Comment