The ageing felucca was mine at last. But it was sorely in need of some tender, loving care. She was now a shell, the mast was down, the cushions had been ripped out, the tent covering the top had disappeared and the sail was nowhere to be seen.
Replacing the sail was by far the biggest expense, and I needed to design a small logo to be sewn into the top. Many arguments ensued because without exception, all the feluccas have hearts and flowers decorating the sails, and of course, I have to be different. So I adapted one of my Reiki symbols...... they are not to be passed around, but the adaptation meant that my boat had the protection it provided without the actual symbol being obvious. I neatly drew it out in preparation. I had my crystals ready for sewing into the “hem” of the sail, and my colour scheme for the felucca picked out.
I did not want to follow the crowd with white paint and either blue or orange. My felucca, my Spirit, would be cream with a turquoise trim. I had many, many arguments over that one. Why did I want cream? White is better! Turquoise will not look nice! And then there were the cushions and the tent. No way was I having the Egyptian chintz effect! I spent hours in the souk trying to find something simple, and never did get exactly what I wanted, but I was pretty close to the mark, with a nice lilac coloured fabric with a simple design and not a flower in sight.
While all this was going on, the hammering, banging and chaos increased. Steel and ropes were being replaced, I even got to sew some sail fabric together for binding steel, with a needle big enough to thread a buffalo through!
The paint arrived...... and there was the cream, just as I asked for, but the turquoise was not exactly turquoise, but it was close enough and I decided it was fine.
Tomorrow was time to start the painting..........